Sunday, August 28, 2011

THE BIG SHOW


Two nights ago, Jim Steacy (Hammer Throw), Heather Steacy (Hammer, Jim sister), Larry (Coach), Alex (Head Coach) and myself had the opportunity to walk onto the field in the Daegu Stadium. We walked into the stadium and wondered around, until we found our way to the field. While we were on the field, we realized, that the stadium security was doing a sweep of the entire stadium. There was about 20 officers each standing in their own row and walking the lower bowl of the stadium.

I calculated in my head that we had about 2 minutes before we got kicked off the field. I was right. A gentleman walked up to our head coach and struggled to find the nice way to say you have to leave. The way he said it was, "You...No...You Have to Go!" I think he was really trying to be nice, but didn't have the correct words in his English vocabulary to say it differently. He was nice enough to let us get a few pics.
 
Daegu Javelin Runway
The gentleman behind me booted us off the field

We walked thru the media area, here is where S.I. will be shooting from (end of the 100m).

Update of the Shoudler (Day 4)


Last night, was the opening night of the World Championships. The environment was electric! In the two years I had to take off, I had forgotten what it was like to be sitting in the stands with 65,000 people cheering on track and field athletes. After arriving, my adrenaline was running. It took me about an hour to relax and enjoy my roommate (Jim Steacy) competing in the Men's Hammer Throw. Unfortunately, Jim did not throw u to his expectations. However, I am really proud of him. He also was forced into taking two seasons off. He also had two surgeries, but instead of his heart (like me), he had one surgery on each foot. One, to repair a broken bone in his left foot and the second to repair torn tendons in his right ankle. Jim finished 19th with 73.32m (240ft).


No comments: