Sunday, August 10, 2008

First Throwing Day.


Usually when I travel, I'm ok on day one and three, but day 4 through 7 I feel pretty crappy. However, today is my third day over here and practice went well. All things being considered!

I left Lawrence on the 6th, traveled for way too many hours (Chicago to Beijing was 13 hours alone. That doesn't include the flight to Chicago from KC (1 1/2hrs) and the time to the airport (45min). I also had a three hour lay over in Chicago.

I did some light weights on the 8th. Then did the opening ceremonies that night. Left the village at 6:30pm and got back to the Village at 1:30am. One cool thing that happen on the way to the dining hall was I saw Chris Bausch (Toronto Raptor - American). Massimo (Canadian Decathlete) and I stopped into the bathroom. Who else was in there? Jason Kidd, Chris Paul and Lebron James. I know it's not a real glorifying story of seeing these guys, but you know what, I talked to Chris Bausch and being in the presence of these guys was cool. I don't really get star struck, but this was one of those moments. The only other time was when I competed against Jan Zelezny (World Record Holder in the Javelin - 98.48m).

Then on the 9th, I traveled to Sigapore. Had 2 1/2 hrs of sleep and left at 6:00am and arrived at 2:30PM. I attempted to do a warmup on an elyptical that night, but I got to 1 mile and realized I wasn't sweating at all. That's Weird! I then had my specific gravity taken. If you don't know what that is, basically, I pee in a cup and the team doctor puts it on a machine and it measures the density of my urine. Which then spits out a number that tells me if I am dehydrated and suprise, I was!

As for my training today, I had an easy technical throwing session. I threw from short approach which mean I don't run very hard, but I still accelerate into the block (Javelin terminology for my leg leg). Of the 7 short approach throw that I took, I had 4 just over 70m and one between 74m and 75m. I know it doesn't sound that impressive when your PB/PR is 84.41m, but my best in practice is 78m. Needless to say, a fair start.


_____________________________________________________________________

Here's what the training looked like since I arrived

Aug 6th
Depart house at 5:00am

Aug 7th
Arrive in Beijing 3:20pm

Aug 8th
9am
10mike Stationary Bike
30min stretching
Squat
6@ 60k
6@ 60k
6@ 70k
6@ 80k
6@ 80k
Pullover
5 x 5 @ 40k

11:30am
30min massage

6pm-2am
Opening Ceremonies


Aug 9th
Travel to Singapore - 6:00am
Arrive in Singapore - 2:30PM

7pm
1.0 miles on Elyptical
approximately 7 minute

8pm
30min Massage

Aug 10th
5:30am
Wakeup

930am
On bus to track

10:30am
Arrive at track
Warm-up/Stretch/Sprint Drills
Picks up and down field 1x each (approx 10 throws)
easy 7 steps (approximately 5-8 in the grass)
easy 7 steps (4 off of track)
Short Approach (7 off of track)
BEST Average
74-75m 70m

4:00pm
Art/Chiro with Gerry Ramogida


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are fun, good luck!