Thursday, August 18, 2011

Best Flight of my Life!

The last few blogs, I have been trying to catch everyone up on what my life was and what it has become. Now, I will start to begin this Blog the way it is meant to be done, follow me in the day to day, week to week and month to month leading up to the 2012 Olympic Games in London, England.

I left Kansas City on August 15th, the first day of in-service for school. I have had to take all ten of my days for the year and my remaining 5 that I have saved from the previous year. Should make for an interesting year, being that Tiffany (my wife) and I are having our first child in October.


Last week, we had a 3-D ultrasound last week. Which was our first glimpse of what are child looks like. And I must say, I think she has my nose.

So at this point in my life, you must imagine how difficult it is to leave a wife who is 7 1/2 month pregnant. Last last word of advise for my wife was, "Please carry this baby to full-term." We made a deal.

I left on August 16th and had the best long flight of my life. The flight from Chicago to Seoul, Korea was 11 hours. On the flight, I read 70 pages in my new book, Dan Brown's "Lost Symbol", watch 2 movies ("Limitless" & "Hanna") and slept for 6-8hrs. Now, let me tell you, with femurs (upper leg body) as long as mine, I usually have my knees driving into the back of the chair in front of me for 11hrs. This time, I was lucky and had an upgrade.

This was the the only reason that I was able to sleep for the first time ever on a plane. Usually, I will sit upright in my chair fighting sleep like an infant in a high chair. But this time, this is what I had...


This is the reason that I arrive in Seoul not feeling like I was rolled up in a sardine can for 11hrs. I was able to lay down on my side, back, front and basically get comfortable.

Upon arriving in Seoul, I had a 3 hour layover. Really not that much time. During that time, I Skyped Tiffany and made up locker combination lists for our middle school football team. Upon, leaving Seoul, I had one more flight to a city in the south east of Korea, called Busan.

When I arrived, my bag arrived, but my javelins didn't. At any point in my career prior to 2008, I would have been hysterically crying, but being a veteran in my sport, you just have to live by, "It is what it is!" If you stress the little things, you will not be successful.

At this point, it was 10:45pm on August 16th and there was a cab waiting for me. I love getting off a plane and there is someone with a card that says your name. After, getting my bags, we (one of our coaches, Jessica Zelinka - Canadian Heptathelete) hopped into the van and 45 minutes later, we arrrived at the hotel.

The team manager for Team Canada met us at the door with our room key and I was quick to get to my room and even faster to sleep!




The morning of the 17th, I walked to the track with our national throws coach (Larry Stienke - he writes my workouts and coaches me via youtube) and James Steacy (Canadian Record holder in the Hammer Throw).
The view from our room


Larry Steinke (Our Coach)
We are training in a large soccer stadium in Changwon City, Korea. The stadium seats approximately 25, 000 - 30,000. Team Canada has exclusive rights to the stadium from 9am-12:00am and 4:00pm-7pm.


1 comment:

Colleen said...

Mom says "this looks like an ultrasound I have seen before!!!" (sucking her thumb) Have fun!!!!