Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Where the Dream Started

Everyone must wonder where the Olympic Dream begins. Is it an inner drive from competition over the years? Maybe. Is it the drive of the individual to be the best in there sport and this is the only place to test it? Quite possible.

My Olympic dream started back in 4th grade. The year was 1988! The Calagary Olympics in Canada! That year I was in Mrs. Flukes 4th grade class. During the Olympics that year, we did an Olympic unit during the games. My memory for the actual unit is not good, but I do remember being a member of the Brazilian Bobsled Team. Which now seems absolutly hilarious, but at the time it couldn't have been more perfect.

It just happens, that another Windsor (Ontario, Canada) native was competing in those olympics. His name is Chris Lori (Bobsled Driver) and at the time he was my hero. Chris Lori was going to compete in the Winter Olympics as a bobsledder (I think that is the correct term) and so was I (but our grade 4 Olympics).


Thanks to Helen Ule and Facebook, I was reminded of the day of my Brazilian glory. (I'm in the green pants and yes, our bobsled was my mom's red wagon, but it was the best bobsled and fastest one we had).

I remember the torch run that when it came through Windsor, the mascotts and I remember how amazed I was at my chance to be part of the Olympic. Since that winter, when Mrs. Fluke introduced me to the Olympic Games, I have been hooked. It started as a fan and now it is a little more than a day away.
The '88 Olympic Torch
Hidy and Howdy, the '88 official mascots
Tonight, I will goto the stadium to relax and watch a couple of events. Other than that it has been only on the TV that I have been able to be a part of the game. My time is coming...

2 comments:

ThumbGenius said...

ah....the red wagon.
it was a glorious piece of hardware.

Anonymous said...

Scott,
What a long road it has been, since our little Olympics in '88!I was thrilled to watch your first attempt this morning, and to hear the TV interview a bit later. I was touched by your memories of our Grade 4 Olympics, and again, as always, I am proud to say I know you. Good luck, God bless, and above all else, ENJOY! ! !