Thursday, August 14, 2008

Singapore, Singapore

This is a Lamp shade at a Brazilian Steak House that we went to last night.


I apologize to those who have been following my blog. As most of you know, I am currently in Singapore. Which is both a country and a city. It is actually a small island south of Malaysia. This is where the Canadian track and field team is based for preparations for Beijing.

I am part of the last group of athletes that will leave Singapore. However, the first set of Canadian (track and field) athletes has just begun competing today. My friend Jim Steacy (he throws the Hammer Throw – Yes, the ball on a chain) threw this morning and qualified for the final that will be held on August 17th. I am totally excited to watch his final. Only, this time I will not be watching it from Singapore, because my group enters Beijing on that afternoon.

So, many of you may be wondering, “Why Singapore?” I ask myself the same question. I assume it is because of the extreme excitement of being in the Athlete’s Village and the surrounding competitions. I assume that if we are not in Beijing, then there is less chance of distraction. The second reason from my understanding is the potential effect of the pollution on performance. Personally, I though it looked my worse then it was. However, I was there for less than 48 hours. I’m sure it may be worse if I lived there permanently.


Now, what does an athlete do at a training camp? Well…. Train, Eat and Sleep. I know, I’m in Singapore! It must be exciting? Not really. And that is why it has taken me so long to post again. When there is nothing happening, it’s hard to write about. I would have a lot of post that would ready,


The sign outside of the train station next to the Bukit Gabok National Training Center in Singapore (the title makes it sound glamorous, it's nice.)

“I woke up at 5am this morning for breakfast, then I went to the track at 9:30am, then I ate lunch at 1:00pm, then I went to the physio for massage and treatment (that’s actually quite nice to not have to pay for!), then I had diner at 6:30pm and then I watched the Olympics on TV and went to bed at 10:00am and did it all again the next day.”

However, I felt with the start of track and field and a bad practice, a good practice and my luggage finally arriving, I had a little more to write about today.

No comments: