Thursday, August 7, 2008

On my WAY!

And “IT” finally begins! I have waited for this trip to start for over 12 years. Imagine you have set a goal for yourself and your life and it is finally occurring. How would you feel? Excited, elated, and blown away? I’m can honestly say that I’m excited about the opportunity that lies ahead of me, but in a somewhat strange way I am quite calm and relaxed.

I may be relaxed because I have no choice because I have to sit on this Boeing 747 for 12 ½ hours. That makes a little more sense now. I had a really surreal moment today in Chicago O’Hare Airport today. As I walk to gate C 16 I realize that a majority if not all the people on my flight are traveling to Beijing for the Olympic Games. There seems to be an anxious feel in the air. You can tell that everyone is excited to go to Beijing. I wonder if they all feel the same as I do.

Chicago O'hare tunnel.


The short flight from Kansas City International was a breeze. One and a half hours, not a bump. When I arrived in Chicago, I had about a three hour lay over. I figured that I would have more than enough time to sit around and do nothing on the plane. So I went on a short walk to see a bit of the airport. The lights in the tunnel between terminal B and C are still cool (if you have ever been through Chicago O’Hare, you know what I mean. As I arrive at my gate, I figure I better try to get a better seat than 58G. That’s right, back of the bus! I attempted to upgrade my seat to business class or first class, even tried to get an exit row for the flight. But the gate attendant said, “I understand that you are a very tall gentleman (Side note - I’m 6’9” and easily the tallest person on the flight by 7”), but we have over sold business and first class and there are no open seats in Economy.” I thought to my self, “I wonder if this person has ever had their knees driving into the back of the seat in front of them for 12 hours? Not a chance! She is 5’2”.” I could usually do it for an hour or two, but 12 to 13 hours is just too long? If the seat in front of me wasn’t so close, I would take a pic. But you know what? I’m on my way to the Olympic Games!

Ready to board!


Now, I am stuck on a plane for 12 to 13 hours. What fun can you have on a plane for that may hours? Not a lot. However, there is a large group of family and friends of US Swimming on the flight. I received more than a few good lucks from them. I also met a man named Robert Andrews, who is a sports psychologist and works with one of the US gymnasts (I believe his first name is Raj). His athlete was one of the alternates in 2004 and was supposed to be the same this year. However, Paul Hamm, reigning All-around Olympic champion pulled out with an injury. Which gave Robert’s athlete has a huge opportunity that just a few weeks ago was not an option. As I look at this story, you realize that there are hundreds, if not, thousands of athletes at these games that have a story of struggle. And I look forward to hearing a few more of them.

Well, it’s 5:00am in China and I only have another 10 hours left, so I better try to get some sleep.

The main street of the Olympic Village


Room with a view. Off to the right of this photo is the "Bird's Nest". But you can't see it because of smog.


What a surprise! When I arrive at the Beijing Airport (2:30pm Aug 7th) my javelins show up, but not my cloths. Long and short of it is that I think the person working the United Airlines desk in Kansas City put the wrong tag on my bag. Upon filing a lost bag report, I notice that my name is not on my baggage claim ticket, but Deborah McVey’s name is on my claim receipt. I’m not really sure how this one happened, but if something weird and messed up can happen, it will happen to Scott Russell (forgive the third person narrative). The plus side of this story is that I went in for my Olympic apparel fitting tonight at 8pm. So I do have some cloths. I’m just lacking some underwear.



But you know what? I'm at the Olympic Games!

9 comments:

Mr. C said...

awesome write up Scott.
And damn those McVey's !!!!

JSuther said...

Scott,
I'm so excited for you, and wish you nothing but the best of luck in the Olympic games. From an old TW employee to another- knock 'em dead! And thanks for the great blogs, it's really cool to feel a personal connection to the games!

Jenni Suther

Schmitz said...

Good luck Scotty and great write up. Looking forward to more. Get some rest and kick some ass for us old folks.

DorothyHR said...

Good luck from everyone at Basehor-Linwood Middle School. We'll be watching for you at the opening ceremony.

ThumbGenius said...

Looks like that flight kicked your bum bum
Opening cermonies were amazing
Must have been crazy

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EdwinsonFamily said...

Scott! We are SO excited for you! Congratulations! You have worked so hard and waited so long... YOU are an Olympian!!! No one can ever take that away! We are root'n for you all the way! Watched the opening ceremony tonight... WOW! You must be having a BLAST! You made it! We'll be watching the prelims!
~Ben and Joy Edwinson

pj said...

Scott,

Wow, Best opening I have ever seen. I say I saw you and am sticking to it! I can't begin to imagine how you feel now. I think I can relate to your parents who must be bursting with pride and so very happy for you. Cherish this and HURL THAT STICK!! See you in Beijing! (got to go get a tissue)

Anonymous said...

Hey man, If you have 1 pair of underware, that means you have 2 days worth!!! Gotta love KCI airport!!!