Friday, August 22, 2008

Olympic FINAL!


The Bird's Nest and Warm-up Track - View from the CBC Broadcasting booth in the Olympic Tower.

For the last 3 Olympiad or 12 years, I had a goal of making the Canadian Olympic Team. On June 15th, when I made my standard to be selected for the team, I started to analyze my whole thought process.




The view from the Olympic Tower - I was interviewed in CBC's Broadcasting booth. I filled in for Scott Russell (the Ankorman)

I had a goal that was unatainable for so long and was number one in terms of life goals. What do you do when you achieve your greatest goal? The thought that went through my head was will I be satisfied with making the team? And the answer is NO!
When I made standard, it didn't seem real, when I was anounced a member of the team, it wasn't real and now that I am here it doesn't seem real. Not in a living dream kind of way, but a relaxed, fun and like I've been here before. This feeling is obviously becuae of my experience with other World Championship team, but something feels different this year.

This year I had a different attitude toward the sport, my event and the things that happen in life when you don't expect it (injuries, etc). I was given a cloth ("clan clooth" - scotish family cloth) this year from my fiancee's cousin. I didn't know this saying was attached to my family's origin in Scotland. The saying is,
CHE SARA SARA

What will be, will be.

I didnt' know that I was living this saying every day this year. I have had a different attitude this year. When I had surgery on my right knee in September, I didn't care, I knew it would heal. When I strained my hamstring in January, I didn't care, it would heal. When I strained my groin in March and again in April, it didn't matter. I would be ready! Then I chipped a piece of cartilage in my knee and I thought my chance for making the team was over. However, I treated it like every other mishap that occurred this year. IT'S NOT GOING TO STOP ME!

When I woke up on the morning of the qualifying round and saw rain, IT DIDN'T MATTER! It wouldn't stop me. When the event was delayed an hour and I had to warm up again. THAT WOULDN'T STOP ME.
NOTHING WILL STOP ME.

I can't tell you what my result will be tomorrow night here in CHINA, but I can tell you one thing, that there will be nothing that will stop me from leaving everything on the track and having no regrets!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That a boy Scottie! That's the attitude everyone should live by. Throw em like the champ I know you are, see ya when you get home!

Unknown said...

all the best for the finals tonight! I'd be watching from Perth, Australia! =)

Johan

EdwinsonFamily said...

Scott,
We saw the results... we tried so hard to catch a glimpse but coverage in the US wasn't the best. Congratulations on all your accomplishments... you should be so proud, YOU MADE IT TO THE OLYMPICS! We read that your experience is "bittersweet", let it fuel your fire. Great job!
Ben and Joy

Anonymous said...

Congrats Scott! You did yourself and Canada proud. Andria and I watched the qualifying on-line. We jumped and scream for you when you hit your opener! Then watching you on CBC in your anchoring debute...Andira said she would find ou a job at CTV, if you ever wanted to give up the masters degree. After the final and this experince, here's hoping 2012 is in your plans.
Best Regards,
Richard & Andria Parkinson

Anonymous said...

Congrats Scott! You did yourself and Canada proud. Andria and I watched the qualifying on-line. We jumped and scream for you when you hit your opener! Then watching you on CBC in your anchoring debute...Andira said she would find ou a job at CTV, if you ever wanted to give up the masters degree. After the final and this experince, here's hoping 2012 is in your plans.
Best Regards,
Richard & Andria Parkinson