Friday, August 15, 2008

Bad Practice, Good Practice

As a few of you know, I had surgery this fall on my right knee. I had a piece of my lateral meniscus removed (Cartilage). It was an extremely long rehab and I only started training in January (usually start in October). Even with the lack of a good fall of training, I came out with a bang. I opened my season with 81.53m (267'). However, I reagrivated my right groin. This took me about two weeks to start feeling better from and BINGO! I had chipped a piece of cartilage off of my femur (right behind my knee cap). Needless to say, it hurt.

This is where I get to my bad practice. My first thrwoing session went well when I arrived in Singapore. I threw 74m (240') from a short approach. Which is a good practice throw for me. Then the BAD practice happened. I felt good through my easy throws, but the second I brought a little more speed down the runway, my knee really hurt. I finished the practice with a best of 70m (NOT SO GOOD). My next throwing session isn't until the 18th. So I will post about that later.


Now the good practice happend today! I think because I had all my streching ropes, rehab equipement and a clean pair of underwear on. It was my last heavy lift and I was worried that my knee wouldn't let me do it. I talked to my knee and it said "Go ahead, have a good day, I'll let ya this time." I truly believe my knee has a life of its own this year. Some day sgreat others terrible. Basically, I got through my lif twith little to no pain.

Hears what it looked like.

Hang Snatch Pulls
3 @ 60k
3 @ 80k
3@ 90k
3@ 100k
3 @ 110k
3 @ 120k

Squat
5 @ 70k
5@ 80k
5 @ 90k
5 @ 100k
3 @ 110k
3 @ 130k (Big jump becuase 110k felt too easy)

Pullover
4 x 5 @ 50k

Abs and Rehab

2 comments:

Mike Baker said...

Hey Scott, it's Mike Baker, Darin Schmitz' brother-in-law. I just wanted to say I love the blog. Love reading about what you are going through with training and everything else.

This is an amazing experience for you, I can only imagine! This has been some of the most memorable Olympics for me at least watching from home on TV!

Have some killer practices and do your country proud!

-Mike Baker
Colorado Springs, CO

Anonymous said...

Scott,

Hope you liked the photo from London. Every day my kids have asked if you have won a medal yet. I think tomorrow I can tell them yes. Give em Hell!

Tim Simpson